Historic Homes of Longmeadow


46 Longmeadow Street (#1 The Daniel Green House - 1866)

This house was built in 1866 by Daniel Green. Daniel Green farmed a small area next to the Springfield/Longmeadow border. While many of the older homes were passed down from generation to generation and therefore had few different owners, this house has had at least twelve different owners since it was built. Just after the turn of the century the house was owned by William Goldthwait who was a descendant of one of the early settlers of Springfield. Mr. Goldthwait was the principal of Westfield Academy which was a private school for young men. A detached carriage house served as a kindergarten run by Mrs. Rude in the 1930's.

[Photo contributed by Chris Hall]
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes of Longmeadow
1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved
]