This classic Federal style house was built in 1827 by
Calvin Cooley. The bricks used in building the house were made at the site
using clay that was from the meadows by the River. The house was
extensively restored in 1937. The tin roof was replaced by slate from the
roof of Springfield's original town hall. There are five fireplaces in
the house. One of these fireplaces has its original Dutch oven intact.
Many of the windowpanes are of the original hand blown glass. The second
floor has original wide pine boards with hand-made nails. James Cooley,
who lived here, was the first American charge d'affaires to Peru. His son,
N. Saxton Cooley, served in the Civil War and was the president of
Medlicott Mills in Springfield in 1907.