Historic Homes of Longmeadow


536 Longmeadow Street (#16 The Stebbins-Wade House -1840's)

Sometime in the 1840's this beautiful little Gothic farmhouse was built by Merrick Stebbins for an artist named Blake. Little is known of the artist, but the Stebbins family was one of the earliest settlers in the area.  In 1869 Mr. Franklin Wade, a Civil War veteran from New York, bought the house. Mr. Wade married Caroline Whitney, a school teacher who taught school in Longmeadow from 1861 to 1883. The Wades lived in the house until 1897.  In 1922 the house was purchased by Mr. Guy Perkins, a farmer and reader in the Christian Science Church. In 1943, the property was purchased by Bay Path College and currently houses its Human Resources Department.

[Photo contributed by Chris Hall]
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes of Longmeadow
1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved
]