Samuel Colton Booth, a successful farmer, built this
brick Federal style house in 1821, no doubt from native brick. Inscribed
over the front door is "A Coomes 1821" and on a stone in the basement is
carved 1820. Alexander Coomes was the builder. Mary Allard Booth, daughter
of Samuel Booth, was born in this house. Mary was one of the early
photomicroscopists and received several medals from the New Orleans
Exposition in 1885, St. Louis Medical Convention in 1904, and the San
Francisco Science Conferences in 1907-09 and 1915 for her work on
eliminating the bubonic plague. In 1909, the house belonged to Edward S.
Decker, a successful businessman. He owned the Dwight Street Lumber
Company in Springfield. In 1914 the house was bought by August Pritzloff,
who held extensive properties in the city. His son, August Pritzloff, Jr.,
was well known for his excellent cabinet making and for the many cocktail
bars he made for Springfield area lounges.