Historic Homes of Longmeadow
 
756 Longmeadow Street, Longmeadow, MA- Historic Homes of Longmeadow
756 Longmeadow Street (#32 The David White House -1775)

Built in 1775, this house is similar in design to the Storrs House (#27). Its builder, David White, was the master carpenter when First Church was built in 1768. His son was the first postmaster in Longmeadow. As was common in late 18th century architecture, this house has twin chimneys and a central hallway, rather than the older style of a huge central chimney. The north parlor is quite ornate and the stairway wears lovely scrollwork carved into its supporting beam.  An unusual feature of the house is the kitchen located in the basement. There is a stairway leading up from it into a rear pantry which leads into the dining room at the rear of the house.

[Photo contributed by Rachel Port]
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes of Longmeadow
1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved
]


click to view