This house is credited with a
construction date of 1713, but could be even older. It was built
for Nathanial Bliss, who had eleven children. In 1786 it was
purchased by David White, master carpenter, who finished the
third floor as a ballroom and converted the house into a tavern.
Over the years it has served many functions. When the schoolhouse
burned in 1852, the third floor was used by the students until
a new school could be built. The front rooms were used as a resting
place for ladies weary from the day long services at First Church.
In 1856 it became a boarding house for the workers at the Chandler
Button Factory (#38) next door. It has been a private residence
for many years.