Historic Homes of Longmeadow
870 Longmeadow Street (#50 The
Newton Colton -1823)
by Rachel Port]
This Colonial home, built in
1823, was one of the last of the homes built on the Longmeadow
Green to mirror the design of the typical 18th century farm home.
You see this simple, "five over four and a door" facade
repeated many times in the 18th century homes along Longmeadow
Street. Originally this house was situated diagonally across
the street at the site of the present Center School. It was moved
across the Green by one "lonesome" donkey in 1923.
As the story goes, the donkey turned a winch that, with the help
of pulleys and ropes, safely got this home to its present site.
Some of the doors and much of the house's hardware came from
the old Parsons Tavern of downtown Springfield. This Tavern had
George Washington as a guest when he visited the Springfield
Armory and leads to speculation on which doors in this house
could tell us some secrets about our first President.
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes
© 1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved]