Historic Homes of Longmeadow
873 Longmeadow Street (#51 The
Jonathan Hale House -1756)
by Rachel Port]
This house was built around 1756
by Col. Jonathan Hale. It was moved across Longmeadow Street
in 1832. The Coomes brothers, Bela and Elais, moved the house
and then redesigned it to suit the needs of their two new brides.
The Bela Coomes lived in the north part; the Elais Coomes in
the south part. The kitchen was in the basement. The women alternated
cleaning each week. In 1849 the southeast wing was added.
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes
© 1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved]