Historic Homes of Longmeadow
912 Longmeadow Street (#56 The
Ebenezer Chandler Colton House - 1790)
by Rachel Port]
Originally this house stood on
the lot adjacent to Jacob Colton's house (#43 -796 Longmeadow
Street). It was originally owned by Ebenezer Chandler Colton.
The house was moved to its present location around 1855 by James
Coomes. The date of construction is thought to be 1790. It most
likely had a center chimney and later alterations moved a fireplace
to the south side. At one time (around 1848) the house was remodeled
to accommodate two families. It returned to a single residence
after it was moved.
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes
© 1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved]