Historic Homes of Longmeadow
 
930 Longmeadow Street, Longmeadow, MA- Historic Homes of Longmeadow
930 Longmeadow Street (#58 The Booth-Allen House - 1795)

It is believed that a house stood on this site as early as 1703 when the road was laid out. The present house was built in 1795 by David Booth. It stood a few feet south of its present location and some feet nearer the street line. The house was occupied by the Booths for about ninety years. John Allen moved it to its present site in 1896. On the south side of the house is the "coffin" door. The main entrance door leading directly to the stairway was too narrow to remove coffins so the side door was built for that purpose. The great chimney had seven flues. When the house was moved, Mr. Allen found a block of wood embedded in the chimney engraved 1795, which dates the construction of the house.

[Photo contributed by Rachel Port]
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes of Longmeadow
1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved
]


click to view