Historic Homes of Longmeadow


259 Longmeadow Street (#6 The Thomas Field House -1728)

Thomas Field built this old colonial in 1728. It remained in the Field family for 215 years until 1943. The last Field to live in the house, Nellie Field, was at one time the town school teacher and taught at the school house (see #11) at 417 Longmeadow Street. Her husband, Moses Field, who died in 1927, was the town water engineer for many years. It is believed that this house had one of the first telephones in Longmeadow because, in the case of fire, Moses would be called to go to Laurel Pond to start the water pumps. This house should perhaps be called the "Moses" Field house because each generation had a son named Moses. At one time, when there was no Moses to carry on the name, John Field changed his name to Moses to maintain the tradition. The house is unusual in that it was raised up more than three feet  in 1862 to accommodate a first floor with 10 foot ceilings. The massive center chimney was replaced at that time by twin chimneys which serve marble fireplaces in the living and dining rooms. A 17 step center stair graces the center hall. Upstairs the original post and beam construction (with gunstock posts) is evident. The attic beams show the wooden pegged joinery. Minutemen Oliver and Moses Field left from this house to go to Lexington and Concord in response to the "General Alarm" of April 19, 1775. Oliver served 5 years in the Revolutionary army.

[Photo contributed by Chris Hall]
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes of Longmeadow
1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved
]