Historic Homes of Longmeadow
 
37 Birnie Road, Longmeadow, MA- Historic Homes of Longmeadow
37 Birnie Road (#60 The Birnie House - Circa 1703-05)

This house originally stood on the comer of Longmeadow Street and Booth Road (now Birnie Road.)  Records show that land was granted in 1703 to Thomas Hale.   Construction began on the house soon afterward.  The house was originally a square with a mansard roof, the only house of this architectural type in Longmeadow at the time. It was moved to its present location around 1894 and at that time the roofline was altered and part of the back of the house was removed.  The front rooms still show the original pine paneling and the second floor has the original wide pine floor boards. The dining room has a butterfly corner cupboard and fireplace that were salvaged from the old "Marchant" Colton house when it was demolished. (The "Marchant" Colton House was located between Crescent Road and Longview Drive on Longmeadow Street. A re-created room from the "Marchant" Colton House is in the collection of the Smithsonian in Washington DC and its Connecticut River Valley double front doors are in the collection of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.  The front doors and door surround of the Town Hall are replicas of these original Colton doors. )

[Photo contributed by Rachel Port]
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes of Longmeadow
1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved
]


click to view