The center section of this house was built in 1732 by
Captain Thomas Colton. The front section of the house was added in the
late 1790's and the rear section in the 1810's. The cellar still contains
one smoke oven, one Dutch oven and two fireplaces. (It was quite common in
this period to locate the kitchen in the cellar of a house, or even in a
separate outbuilding. Doing so kept the house cooler in the summer and
prevented house fires.) This 12 room house with its 8 fireplaces reflects
the gracious living of early colonial days.