Gaius Bliss, tanner, shoemaker, and farmer, began
building this house in 1785. The foundation is built of red stones carried
from the East Longmeadow quarries. This foundation was topped with heavy
oak beams held in place by huge wooden pegs. On two sides he lined the
walls with a layer of brick. Clearly, he intended that this house would
endure. Gaius Bliss had his shoe shop in the cellar of his home for nearly
40 years. The southern ell was added after 1817.