Historic Homes of Longmeadow


1607 Longmeadow Street (#73 The Jabez Colton House - 1786)

This beautiful old farmhouse sits on the crest of a hill and back off the road to give it the air of serenity and simplicity so frequently associated with New England farms. The house was built in 1786 by Jabez Colton, one of the earliest area residents to graduate from Yale University. Jabez served as the village lawyer and later as the town clerk. He kept a private school preparing young men for college giving special attention to their theological instruction. The house remained in the Colton family until 1840, when it was sold to William Seamons.  The Tabor family acquired the house in the late 1840's and it remained in the family until the mid1950's. The Tabor farm, as the homestead came to be known, was relatively untouched during this extended period of ownership.

[Photo contributed by Chris Hall]
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes of Longmeadow
1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved
]