This house was built by Hermon Newell, a prolific and
talented local gravestone carver. His work can be seen up and down the
Connecticut River Valley as well as in the Old Burying Yard in Longmeadow.
Later his son, Simeon, lived in the house and continued the gravestone
carving tradition of his father. The house originally stood on Longmeadow
Street at the site of Center School. It was moved to its present location
sometime between 1850 and 1855. The Newell family farmed the property.
Thereafter it saw a series of owners, including Gad Olcott Bliss and
Joseph Dion, a blacksmith, before Thomas Murray bought it in 1887. The
Murray family continued the farming tradition until the early 1960's. This
was one of the last active farms in Longmeadow. The property still retains
one of the original farm buildings. An addition to the house made in the
mid-19th century contained a room with wood stove, perhaps for hired help.
The garage addition is early 21st century.