Historic Homes of Longmeadow
 
787 Longmeadow Street, Longmeadow, MA- Historic Homes of Longmeadow
787 Longmeadow Street
(#41 The Captain Simon Colton House 1734 - "Old Red House")

The "Old Red House", built by Captain Simon Colton in 1734, is a fine example of a New England "saltbox". The symmetry of the facade is characteristic of 18th century architecture; narrow twelve -over twelve paned windows and pediment capped door. The primary focus of the house is the central chimney, 14 feet square at the base, with front hall, two rooms on either side, and lean-to kitchen surrounding it. The ell extending to the south of the main house was built for Captain Colton's second wife. She stipulated, upon agreeing to marry him and mother his many children, that she must have a separate bedroom. The house was previously owned by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities. Terms of the agreement under which this house was sold specify that the house will remain red and the front facade will remain unchanged.

[Photo contributed by Rachel Port]
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes of Longmeadow
1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved
]


click to view