Stephen Hale lived in this house in 1831 and it is
believed that he built the house. It was one of the few duplex houses in
Longmeadow although today it is a single family home. The Longmeadow Post
Office was here. Albrion K. Matthews served as the Post Master during the
administration of Grover Cleveland. Mrs. Matthews had a small store, the
"Cheap Cash Store". The 1894 map shows the post office and store as
separate buildings on the property but the second building had disappeared
by the early 1900's.