Historic Homes of Longmeadow
by Rachel Port]
977 Longmeadow Street (#61 The
Coomes-Almquist House - Circa 1830)
Although difficult to date the
construction of this house, the first mention of a "homestead"
on the property appeared in a deed posted January 4, 1840. However,
previous to this, in 1826, there is mention of "the buildings
thereon" when the property was sold to Horatio Coomes. This
Greek Revival house is an excellent example of the "continuous
farm house" where rooms were added on to accommodate the
ever enlarging family. The original house had a central chimney
with 3 rooms up and 3 rooms down.
[Text reprinted with permission from The Historic Homes
© 1988 & 2012 Hall/Hayes - All Rights Reserved]
click to view