977 Longmeadow Street- #61 (see additional information)

This year's Town Report cover watercolor, by Peggy Godfrey, is the home of the Robert M. Brigham family at 977 Longmeadow Street, another of Longmeadow's old homes in the Historic District on the Town Green.

The original land grant of 10 acres was requested by Thomas Haile March 10, 1702 and was given to him in 1703.  "Thomas Haile desires the Town to grant him 10 acres of land upon hill agt Longmeadow adjoining to his own land, and five acres above the bridge that goes over the Longmeadow Brooke".

Early land transactions show in 1726, Thomas Haile, in consideration of forty Pounds paid, grants to Daniel Burt.  Daniel Burt grants to John Burt in 1727.  John Burt grants to Joseph Chapin for 62 Pounds October 24, 1743.  Joseph Chapin grants to Samuel Colton 2nd June 12, 1760, then to Sam Colton, 3rd, after his father died, then to his daughter Flavia, who married John H. Brockway- 12 acres.

John and Flavia Brockway grants to Horatio Coomes May 20, 1831.  All of the land on which 951, 961 and 977 Longmeadow Street is now located appeared to be one property over the years.  These 12 acres were granted to Horatio Coomes.

Horatio (Horace) Coomes, son of John Coomes and Joanna Colton, was born in 1784.  He was the first of ten children, was a shoemaker, and lived in the little house at 891 Longmeadow Street, which was part of his father's property. He married Ansa Amadon of Wilbraham, August 20, 1807.  After eight children were born to them (they had eleven in all), there was no room, and they bought the Capt. David Burt house at 951 Longmeadow Street. Horatio's eleventh child was born in 1830.

The 1831 map shows Horatio's house at 977 Longmeadow Street.  He lived in this house until he died in 1871.  In 1876, his estate was partitioned amongst heirs and approved by the Court.  The house then became his daughter's Adaline Almquist, and later it went to Delia Bascomb, her sister.  This family was here for about a total of 100 years.

Dwight Bascomb, widower of Delia, sold the home to Sallie Sears June 5, 1931.  She made many alternations and additions that year.  A new chimney was built, the roof shingled, and she had two patios built, one on the north side and one on the south side.  The old shed became a spare room under which a garage was built.

Catherine Green remembers living here, in 1913, and she states that it was then a two-family house.

T. Edmund Skinner bought the house from Sallie Sears in 1947.  In 1955, the Brighams purchased the house from the Skinners.  Today, this is a ten room house.

"The interior of the house has been extensively renovated over the years leaving very few of the original details."  This home was built in three different sections.  The old part is the front section, which had a central  chimney.  The plate covering for such is visible under the roof.  There were originally three rooms upstairs and three down.  The foundation is of red sandstone.  The original heavy carrying beams still remain, however double joists with square nails have been added.   In place, under the stairs, is the end of the newel post peg.  The front stairway and some of the interior window treatments have not been altered.  In this original section, the corner posts remain on the northeast corner of the house. The front post appears to have been cut off.

The paneled front door is the original one built.  The etched glass panels on either side and above the door are the grape design. Closer viewing of the house reveals the delicate tracery on the porch posts.

The section of the house is now the dining room and the kitchen area, and the bedrooms above contain supporting beams for the attic roof.

As mentioned, the third section was built in 1931.

To the rear of the house was a large barn, which had been removed sometime after 1914.

On the property now owned by the Brighams is a small house, #961, which is partially seen in the painting.  Conjecture about this house is still alive.

A charming little playhouse, built in 1921 by Frank Whipple, Mrs. Brigham's father, for his three children was moved here in 1955, when the Brighams bought the property.  The Brigham children and grandchildren have also enjoyed playing in it.

/s/ Peggy Leete Godfrey

Registry of Deeds, Storrs Library, Town of Longmeadow Records, Mrs. Brigham, Mr. & Mrs. William Bakeman, and family papers.


a website of LongmeadowBiz, LLC